Top 10 things to know as a Queenstown tenant...
1. Essential services to the property
Organise for the telephone to be connected:
- Telecom - dial 123
- Telstra Clear - call Fast Connect on 0800 88 55 99
Arrange an electricity supplier for the property:
Trustpower: 0800 878787
Contact Energy: 0800 809 000
Meridian Energy: 0800 496 496
Queenstown's natural gas supplier is Rockgas:
- Telephone: 442 9979.
- Rent must be paid in advance at all times.
- Set your rent up as a regular automatic payment.
3. Property Condition Report (PCR)
- You receive a copy of the PCR when you sign the rental agreement.
- Check the report, note any variances on it, then sign and return the PCR to us (here at QAC) within 10 working days.
4. Security Bond
- Bond = equivalent of four week's rent.
- Lodged with Tenancy Services.
- If tenants change during your tenancy, a change of tenant form needs to be completed. (The same signatures on the bond form need to be on the bond refund form.)
- For your own protection, we strongly recommend you take out contents insurance. Consider a personal liability policy also. We recommend Rothbury Insurance Brokers.
6. Lawn & garden maintenance
- Unless stated otherwise in your Tenancy Agreement, all lawns and gardens are your responsibility.
- We can recommend reliable contractors if you wish to engage a helping hand.
7. Rubbish (garbage) collection
- Unless you have a green wheelie bin supplied to the property for general rubbish, use blue council bags (purchased from supermarket).
- Recycling - use the blue-lidded wheelie bins; put out along with general refuse on rubbish day.
Arrowtown/Lake Hayes - Monday
Kelvin Heights/Frankton - Tuesday
Queenstown Central - Wednesday
Fernhill/Sunshine Bay/Arthurs Point - Thursday
- Fireplaces & woodburners - use a metal bucket for hot ashes (do NOT put/bury the hot ashes outside, it's a fire hazard!).
- Heat pumps - clean and clear properly; regularly vacuum out heat pump's filter.
9. Winter tips
- Frozen pipes - keep the water flowin' and these unfrozen by following our Winter Essentials for Tenants (attached below)
- Condensation & mildew - ventilate the house as much as possible, wipe down window and door sills, and use a dehumidifier if needed.
10. Tenancy agreements
There are two types of residential tenancy agreements:
- Periodic tenancy - an agreement for an indefinite period until it is lawfully terminated by either party or by the Tenancies Tribunal.
- Fixed term tenancy - a specific time agreed upon at the beginning of the tenancy.